|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Sunday, November 24, 2013

MIXED SALAD with POMEGRANATE and SUMAC DRESSING



Thank goodness for the Brisbane storms, as I had no choice but to hang up my renovators' hat this afternoon and come home and cook. We all have something in our lives that helps us relax, that rejuvenates us and makes us feel like US again. For some people it is sex, for some it is reading, for some it may even be playing Playstation (oh my Chris you fall straight into this category). For me my way to unwind is cooking (and exercise). But when you can’t run or walk outside or drive to your Pilates studio, cooking quickly becomes the best option. I have sorely missed blogging about my daily dishes over the past few months and I will try my hardest to continue with at least a few dishes a week as my life continues to spin in crazy circles. Hope you enjoy this vibrant salad as much as I truly enjoyed creating and eating it. 

INGREDIENTS

Salad

  • 2 generous handfuls of mixed 4 leaf lettuce
  • 1 large tomato, finely diced
  • 1/2 heaped cup red cabbage, roughly shredded
  • 1 x 400ml tin of brown lentils, washed & drained
  • 1 medium ripe avocado, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 large pomegranate, little jewels removed and insides discarded 
  • 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 lime, cut into quarters
Dressing
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic granules
  • 1 teaspoon sumac
  • juice of 1/4 of a lemon 
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 tablespoons water 
  • sea salt 

COOKING / PREPARATION 

1. Combine the lettuce, tomato, cabbage, lentils, avocado and pomegranate in a large bowl and toss well to combine. 

2. To make the dressing combine all ingredients in a small screw-top jar and shake well. Depending on how runny you want your dressing you can chose to add either 1 or 2 tablespoons of water (I used two). 

3. Pour the dressing over the salad, sprinkle the parsley and squeeze lime juice over the vegetables. Toss well. 

Serves / 2 as a main / 4 as a side 
Total Preparation / Cooking time / 15 minutes 

x Emily 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...