This recipe is loosely adapted from the Breakfast Casserole recipe in the 'I Quit Sugar' cookbook by Sarah Wilson. Whilst I could happily consume this casserole for breakfast, it only saw lunch and dinner at my house. I love this recipe because it is so easy; I just stuck it in the oven for 45 minutes and went for a run whilst it was baking. There are a fair few ingredients in this casserole, however I encourage you to substitute the ingredients that you do not have available to you in your kitchen for ones you have on hand. For example, if you do not have turkey fillets, use chicken breast instead. If you do not have fresh chives or spring onions, use what you do have on hand, such as fresh parsley or even dried herbs will work. Regular potato will work in place of sweet potato and zucchini can be substituted for carrot. If you are not lactose-free like myself, add some real cheese on top!
- 500g sweet potato, peeled & grated
- 250g zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 1 broccoli head, cut into small florets & stalk roughly chopped
- 500g turkey fillet, cut into small even pieces
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- a generous pinch of salt & pepper
- coconut oil spray
- 10 eggs, preferably free-range
- Optional- small handful of grated lactose-free or other cheese
1. Preheat a fan-force oven to 190 degrees celsius and lightly grease a ceramic or glass baking dish with coconut oil spray.
2. Spray a medium frying pan with coconut oil and heat over medium heat. Add the turkey to the pan and just cook until white / par cooked.
3. Combine all the ingredients except for the oil, eggs and cheese in a large bowl and mix well.
4. Whisk the eggs and 1/3 cup of water in a separate bowl or jug.
5. Place the combined ingredients into the prepared dish, taking care to spread out the vegetables evenly. Carefully pour the egg mixture on top of the vegetables until covered. Sprinkle the cheese on top if using.
6. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes so that it sets before you start serving.
Serves / 4
Total Preparation time /
Total Cooking time / 60 minutes (including cooling time)