|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

HOMEMADE SEED CEREAL


Below is a muesli recipe I made up in 10 minutes before rushing out of the house on a Sunday am. You can make this cereal gluten-free by using puffed corn instead of oats. I tend to steer clear of dried fruit in my cereal or muesli, due to its high sugar content. I like to use several different seeds and one or two types of nuts to fill me up at breakfast time. I have tried to keep the ingredient list small here, as I know that the idea of making your own cereal can seem time consuming and daunting. However I urge you to try, as this homemade cereal takes a maximum of 10 minutes! I know that flax, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds can appear to be expensive, but if they are bought in bulk they last for a very long time and consuming them comes with numerous health benefits. 

For example, did you know that chia seeds expand in your stomach, making you feel full for longer and therefore resulting in you eating less?  Flaxseeds are acclaimed for burning body fat, as they speed up your metabolism and are full of fibre and omega-3s. Sunflower seeds contain copious vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, B1, B6 & B3 as well as magnesium and folate. Pepitas or pumpkin seeds contain a very wide diversity of antioxidants including vitamin E and are a great source of the minerals zinc, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. This is a very small snapshot of only a few of the many benefits these seeds provide you with, hence my use of them in this muesli and in every different muesli I make.



Ingredients

  • 200g rolled oats or 170g puffed kamut or 170g puffed corn (for a gluten-free option)
  • 100g puffed rice
  • 50g flaxseed or LSA 
  • 50g sunflower seeds
  • 50g pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 50g chia seeds
  • 150g almonds, roughly chopped
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preparation

1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine. 

Store in a sealed container and serve with 1/2 cup (125ml) milk of your choice (I like unsweetened almond milk) or 100g full-fat greek yoghurt 

Serving size / makes 10 serves 
Total Preparation time / maximum 10 minutes 


x Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...