I love going out for meals, as I love trying to recreate the dishes I order at home. This creation was based on a Chicken Burrito Bowl I had at Salsa's. Low in carbs & fat and high in veges and protein, this lunch filled me up for hours. If pressed for time like I was, shred a free-range cooked chicken including the skin. You can also cook and shred chicken breast by poaching; the link to my recipe for poaching is below. Add whatever vegetables you have on hand and for vegetarians you could substitute the chicken for a type of bean, such as black beans, red kidney beans, chickpeas, etc.
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed under cold running water twice
- 500g free range chicken breast or 500g cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 teaspoon rice bran oil
- 1 large broccoli head, cut into small florets & stalk chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, roughly cubed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 medium green capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
1. Place the rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 8-10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave the quinoa for 5 minutes, covered, then fluff with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, either poach the chicken breast or shred your pre-cooked chicken. If poaching follow step 1 on this link: http://soulfulsandwiches.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/poached-shredded-pulled-chicken-with.html. Omit the ginger and thyme but do add the 2 garlic cloves.
3. Meanwhile, combine the capsicum, tomato and spring onion in a medium bowl and toss well.
4. Heat a large deep fry pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil is hot add the broccoli. Stir well and cover for 3 minutes, before adding the zucchini and taco seasoning, stirring well and covering again for 2-3 minutes or until the broccoli and zucchini are just tender. NB: If the vegetables start to stick to the pan add a splash of water.
5. Once the vegetables are cooked turn the heat to low, add the cooked quinoa and the shredded chicken to the pan and toss well to combine. Season to taste.
Divide into six servings and top with the capsicum, tomato and spring onion mixture.
Serves / 6
Total Preparation time / 10 minutes
Total Cooking time / 25 minutes w/cooked chicken / 35 if poaching chicken