Creating more recipes that use fish has been a fun challenge for me. I have found myself loving tuna steaks and wanting to cook with them a couple times a week. This salad includes a small amount of brown rice, however you can omit the rice for a super light meal. Just make sure that without the rice you do not get hungry after dinner and snack on something else!
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 large handfuls of lettuce or baby spinach or mixed
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 100g green beans, trimmed and chopped into small pieces
- 120g continental or Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 30g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- 250g tuna steak, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- aluminium foil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 spring onion or 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Bring the rice and 1 and a 1/4 cups of water to the boil, covered, then simmer for 8 minutes or until all water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the salad by chopping and tossing the lettuce, tomato, beans, cucumber, spring onion and feta in a large serving bowl.
3. Make the dressing by pouring all ingredients into a small bowl and stirring.
4. Stir the tuna steak with the olive oil. Bring either a grill plate or a frying pan to high heat. Add the tuna and leave to cook for 2 minutes each side. After this rest the cooked tuna for 2 minutes wrapped loosely in the al foil. Once the 2 minutes are up, carefully slice the tuna.
Add the brown rice and tuna to the salad and lightly toss. Drizzle the dressing on top and divide into 2 bowls.
Serves / two
Total Preparation & Cooking time / max 20 minutes