|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

VEGETABLE MEDLEY ON SOURDOUGH


I don't like I could ever completely give up bread, as I love it so much! I have gotten myself to a place that when I eat bread I consider it a decadent treat, therefore I do not eat it often but when I do I enjoy the hell out of it. This simple sourdough was adapted from a vegetarian sourdough toast I had whilst out for breakfast a few weeks ago. I love the addition of hummus and basil, however you can go without if you do not have any. And what do you know, mushrooms made an appearance again (for those out there that do not know, I am trying my hardest to consume mushrooms and get over my dislike of them!). 

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 200g pumpkin, skin & seeds removed and thinly sliced
  • 1 small red or green capsicum, thinly sliced 
  • 100g mushrooms, roughly chopped
  • 8 slim slices of sourdough bread, toasted to your liking
  • 1 small avocado, halved
  • the juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 handful baby spinach
  • Optional- a few basil leaves per slice of bread
  • Optional - 4 teaspoons of hummus

Cooking 

1. Preheat a medium frying pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon oil. Once the pan is warm add 1 garlic clove and stir for 1 minute. Next add the pumpkin and cook for around 2 minutes per side or until just cooked. Remove the pumpkin and add the capsicum and cook for a few minutes or until lightly cooked. Remove the capsicum from the pan and place it with the cooked pumpkin. 

2. Pour the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 1 garlic clove into the pan. Lower the heat if the garlic starts to burn. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly or until the mushrooms are cooked to your liking. Remove the mushrooms and place them with the capsicum and pumpkin. Mix the cooked vegetables.  

3. Spread 1/8 of the avocado onto each slice of sourdough. Lightly drizzle lemon juice on top. Top each slice with 1/8 of the baby spinach, 1/8 of the cooked vegetables, basil (if using), 1/2 teaspoon of hummus and another drizzle of lemon juice. Serve warm. 

Serves / 4 / 2 slices per serving 
Total Preparation time / around 12 minutes 
Total Cooking time / around 15 minutes (including assembling the slices)

x Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...