|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Thursday, April 12, 2012

FRIED RICE WITH VEGETABLES & EGG


I could not live without rice. Although I am not techinically a coeliac (that I know of) I eat rice several nights week. I blame this addiction on my lovely mother who bought me sushi each afternoon during high school for several years. That and she has cooked with rice for years, due to various intolerances in our family. In my opinion, fried rice is not fried rice without cooked egg, peas and chives. Some people need to include ham in their fried rice, but as I am not fan of meat I do not find this essential. What I especially love about fried rice is the versatility. You can use almost any vegetable in your fridge, such as carrots, buk choy, green beans, leek, any type of capsicum, broccoli etc. The ingredients I cooked with to make this dish are as always what I had in my fridge and pantry at the time.


INGREDIENTS

  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten 
  • a pinch of dried chilli flakes
  • 1 large brown onion (120-150g), chopped finely
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely diced 
  • a small bunch of fresh chives or 1/2 cup, chopped finely 
  • 1 medium red capsicum (100g), finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice
  • 1 1/4 cups frozen peas, thawed 
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 2 tablespoons tamari sauce (like soy sauce but gluten-free)
  • Equipment- a wok 

COOKING 

1. Place rice in a medium saucepan and add 3 cups of water. Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for around 15 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. 

2. Meanwhile, cook the egg in a small to medium frying pan. To do this, pour 1/2 teaspoon of oil in the pan on medium heat and swirl to coat. Pour in the beaten egg and sprinkle the chilli flakes on top. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side and then flip onto the other side, cooking for 2 minutes or until egg is solid. Remove from the pan and cut into even small cubes or strips. 

3. Heat the other 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium heat and swirl well to coat. Add the garlic and onion and stir for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the red capsicum and peas and cook, stirring well for 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked rice to the pan and toss well to combine, adding the tamari sauce. When the rice becomes browner in colour, remove from the heat and add the egg pieces and the fresh chives. Serve. 

Serves / 4 as a main 
Preparation time / 10 minutes 
Cooking time /  25-30 minutes including the rice

x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...