|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

PRAWN THAI SALAD



 I am so excited to announce that I cooked seafood for the first time last night! The first time ever. I expanded my horizons away from my comfort zone, which involves mainly chicken, vegetable dishes and yoghurt. Whilst I did not cook the prawns from scratch (I actually bought then pre peeled & pre cooked) they tasted very appetizing. If you find yourself doubtful that prepackaged prawns can taste edible; join the club. I threw my pretentiousness aside yesterday however and I am so glad that I did. For people with busy lives who allow themselves 20 minutes every night to cook, I recommend that you try these prawns. Of course, do not forgo the delectable prawns that you cook from scratch on the bbq. I am merely suggesting a faster way for a weeknight feed. I have also recently discovered tamari sauce, a good replacement for soy sauce, as so many of the soy sauce brands out there are extremely salty and not gluten-free.


INGREDIENTS

  • 200g prawns, peeled & cooked
  • 150g green beans, trimmed 
  • 150g carrots, peeled and cut thinly 
  • 2-3 small lebanese cucumbers, cut thinly
  • 250g rice vermicelli noodles
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely diced 
  • 3 green onions, finely chopped 
  • 3 tablespoons tamari sauce (similar to soy sauce but gluten-free)
  • 1 teaspoon grape seed/ sesame/ olive oil 
  • 1 teaspoon fish sauce 
  • Optional- a drizzle of fresh lemon juice 



COOKING 


1. Bring a kettle of water to the boil. Place vermicelli noodles in a large bowl/saucepan and pour the water over them, completely covering the noodles. Separate with a fork and let sit for around 5 minutes or until tender but not soggy. Drain well, pouring cold water over the noodles. 


2. Heat the oil in a large wok and swirl to coat. Add the garlic and green onions and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the beans, carrots and prawns and stir well, for around 4 minutes or until the beans and carrots are tender. Add the cooked vermicelli noodles, tamari sauce and fish sauce and toss well to combine. Remove from heat and serve in a large serving bowl, adding a drizzle of fresh lemon if you wish. 


Serves / 4 as a main dish 
Preparation time / 15 minutes 
Cooking time / 6 minutes 


x E


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...