|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

BACON, ZUCCHINI & CHILLI PASTA



The drizzling weather in Brisbane yesterday led me to creating this comfort food Pasta dish. I wanted something warm, slightly spicy and colourful in my belly. The picture above does not do the dish justice, as the golden green of the zucchini, the light purple of the red onion and the seared pink of the bacon are lost in the flaming red of the chilli, pasta sauce and tomato paste. Nonetheless  it was a very tasty, filling gluten and dairy-free meal. This was actually the first time I have ever worked with raw chilli and I must say that I really enjoyed their fiery flavour in the end product. What I did not enjoy was the fierce hotness I felt for 1 hour on my upper lip after I touched my chilli fingers to my mouth. But you live and learn. I now know not to do that ever again...


INGREDIENTS
  • 400g gluten-free penne pasta
  • 60g weight watchers bacon, finely chopped
  • 2 medium zucchini, chopped into 2cm cubes
  • 1 red chilli or 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes, finely chopped
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup tomato pasta sauce (any type will do; I used bolognese)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste 
  • 125g cherry tomatoes, washed & halved
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1/8 -1/4 cup sheep's pecorino cheese, finely grated 

COOKING 

1. Bring a large, lightly salted saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add gluten-free pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove from heat and drain in a colander. 

2. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and swirl to coat pan. Add bacon and zucchini pieces and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes or until bacon and zucchini is golden brown. Add cherry tomatoes, red onion and garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Pour in pasta sauce, tomato paste and 1/2 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Add drained pasta and a pinch of sea salt to the pan and stir until pasta is warmed through and all ingredients are combined. Remove from heat. 

Divide pasta evenly into 4 bowls and serve with sheep's pecorino cheese sprinkled on top or another cheese if not dairy intolerant. 

Serves /
Total Preparation time / 12 - 15 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 15 minutes 


x Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...