|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

WARM LENTIL & BACON SALAD



When I started this blog back in September 2011 I promised myself something; that I would never force myself to write if I did not feel like it. Hence I have had the occasional week off from Soulful Sandwiches when for one reason or another the words do not seem to jump off my fingertips onto the keyboard. But this Wednesday I am inspired and ready to go with a few Autumn recipes for you. First off is a very simple Lentil & Bacon salad, made with weight watchers bacon which has a huge percentage of less fat than any other brand of bacon on the market. Putting meat in a salad is a sneaky way for me to get my partner Chris to eat salads. Also omitting the lettuce makes him more partial to them. As the weather cools down at night, this warm salad is perfect for a light fall dinner. 

INGREDIENTS

Salad
  • 2 x 400g tin brown lentils, washed & drained
  • 125g cherry tomatoes, washed
  • 60g weight watchers bacon, finely chopped
  • 1 lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 heaped tablespoons sheep's pecorino cheese, finely grated
  • 1 scant tablespoon coconut oil
Dressing (Optional)
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil 
Stir all dressing ingredients until combined. 


COOKING 

1. Heat coconut oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon pieces when pan is hot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the bacon is golden. Remove bacon from heat and pat dry with paper towel to remove excess oil. 

2. Meanwhile, combine the lentils, tomatoes, cucumber and red onion in a medium to large salad serving bowl. Place bacon pieces on top of the salad and scatter grated pecorino cheese on top. Drizzle the dressing above on top, or use a touch of balsamic vinegar or leave plain. 

Serves / 4 for a light meal
Total Preparation time / 8-10 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 6 minutes 

x Emily 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...