This delicious blueberry muffin recipe is adapted from one such similar recipe found on the Food Matters website, brought to my attention by my lovely sister-in-law. Food Matters is a film and a revolution, based on the belief that ‘your body is worthy of good care and that nobody is more suitably qualified to care for it than yourself’.
Food Matters began with an illness in a family. The sufferer experienced severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Depression and Anxiety that was treated with six different medications and left him feeling bedridden and worse than before he started taking the medicine. Family members could not convince the sufferer that the conventional medical approaches were not working, so they decided to try another medium; to make a film involving the world’s leading health and nutrition experts. These experts explained and proved to their unwell relative that ‘food is better medicine than drugs’ and within a mere three months the sufferer was off his medication, 50 pounds lighter and in excellent health.
This independently funded film has one very clear message: Food Matters. Go to http://www.foodmatters.tv/ to find out more about this powerful film.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup / honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract / powder
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, plus extra to grease
- 3 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup oat / rice / almond milk
- 1 heaped cup fresh / frozen blueberries (thawed if frozen)
1. Preheat a fan force oven to 180 degrees celsius. Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl combine the almond meal, coconut flour, salt, baking soda and ground cinnamon and stir to mix. Add the syrup / honey, vanilla, oil, eggs and milk and stir well to combine. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
3. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each muffin hole. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or longer if you want a firmer muffin. Leave the tray to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then remove the muffins from the tin and leave to cool completely.
Makes / 12
Total Preparation time / 10 minutes
Total Oven time / 30-35 minutes for a soft, moist muffin / longer for a firmer muffin