I am trying to incorporate more seafood into my diet as I know how good it is for me! My husband unfortunately does not really care for it so this will be interesting! First up: a very simple but delicious and hearty prawn pasta. The prawns should be fresh from a supermarket deli or a butcher. I like to purchase them already cooked with their shells removed as it is a real time saver. You often cannot buy them sans tails, however it only takes a few seconds to remove the tails and I quite enjoy this task! When I'm not in a big rush I cook the pasta first, drain it and then use the same saucepan for step 2, however you can have both step 1 and 2 going at the same time (just make sure the water has boiled in step 1 before you start step 2, so that the pasta will be cooked by the time you need it to be!).
- 400g gluten-free pasta (or regular pasta if not allergic/intolerant)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped or 1/2-1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 300g cooked prawns, shells removed, with or without tails
- 250g cherry tomatoes, washed & halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil and / or fresh parsley
- 40g reduced-fat feta, crumbled or 40g shaved paramesan (or if dairy free, 40g goats or sheep's feta)
1. Bring a large, lightly salted saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your liking. Remove from heat and drain in a colander, reserving 1/2 a cup of the pasta water.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep fry pan over medium heat and swirl to coat. Add the zucchini pieces and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and stir all together for another 2 minutes. Pour in the tomato paste and chilli and stir well to combine. Gradually pour in the 1/2 cup pasta water you reserved, just a couple tablespoons at a time and continue stirring until the water is absorbed. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the cooked pasta, prawns, cherry tomatoes, herb/s and cheese. Stir until the pasta is warmed through and all ingredients are combined. Remove from heat.
Divide pasta evenly into 4 bowls and serve with extra herb/s on top, as well as a generous pinch of ground black pepper, if desired.
Serves / 4
Total Preparation time / around 15 minutes
Total Cooking time / 15-20 minutes