|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Sunday, July 22, 2012

STEAK WITH TOMATO, MUSTARD & PARSLEY SAUCE


Those who know me know that I am not one to crave steak often. However, I have realized that it can be quite nice for my iron level and me once in a while. Whilst out at breakfast today a friend rattled off the perpetual saying ‘Eat like a King for breakfast, a Queen for lunch and a Pauper for dinner’. I had this clearly embedded in my mind as I decided what to make for lunch. Steak seemed like a good choice, as whilst it is filling it is not too filling to result in a sneaky afternoon siesta.

The tomato, mustard and parsley sauce has a little story behind it as well. I have splattered tomato sauce / ketchup on my medium-rare, top quality steaks for as long as I can remember. My dad positively faints at this habit, my mother shakes her head and my boyfriend screams at me ‘stop, you are ruining it!’. Hence I decided to finally listen to them, as they may be onto something. As I still needed a sauce to go on my steak, I pulled out some tomatoes from the fridge that had seen better days, as well as some fresh parsley and mustard, because come on, you need a little mustard to zest up a steak. Sumac is my new favourite spice and goes incredibly well with tomatoes (you can buy it at any major supermarket in the baking isle). Lastly, a splash of vinegar and voila, a steak sauce worth of a eye fillet steak.

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 x 130g eye fillet steak, fat removed
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil (in liquid form)
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 heaped tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons sumac 
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

COOKING 

1. Combine tomatoes, parsley, mustard, sumac and vinegar in a small bowl and toss well to combine all ingredients. Add a pinch of sea salt & refrigerate until steaks are cooked. 

2. Combine steaks, garlic and oil in a medium bowl and mix so garlic and oil coats all the steak. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook steaks to your specification / liking. (I like steaks medium rare, so I cooked them for around 4-5 minutes each side, then cut into the side of one of the pieces to make sure that it was ready). 

Serve warm with tomato, mustard & parsley sauce on top or on the side. 

Serves /
Total Preparation time / 12 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 10 minutes 

x E

2 comments:

  1. I have to try this - I love mash
    dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried this recipe yet MNDBerkelmans? Perhaps you can make steak on Sunday lunch and Ill bring the sauce over?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...