|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Monday, November 19, 2012

CORN PASTA WITH BASIL & CASHEW PESTO



There are a few pesto recipes available on my blog if you go far back enough, however I am happy to say that this one is my very own recipe. I use the least amount of olive oil that I can (2 tablespoons) which does give the pesto a rougher quality, which I do prefer to the creamier texture of some store-bought pesto. As my partner loathes pine nuts (how can you possibly hate them?) I used cashews as the nut base. Do not go crazy with the lime juice as anymore than 2 tablespoons will give the pesto a runny quality. Since experimenting with this pesto a month or so ago, I have made it half a dozen times. It has become a wonderful addition to several dishes; I have used it in Eggplant Parmigiana, as a sauce for poached eggs and as a topping on corn & rice crackers. If you make a big batch it can be stored in the fridge for 4 days in an air-tight container. I find that there is something so primordial about making one's one sauce from scratch and I intend to do it more. 



INGREDIENTS

  • 400g Sam Mills gluten-free corn pasta
  • 1 large bunch basil leaves, washed & stems removed
  • 1/4 cup raw and unsalted cashews
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • sea salt

COOKING 

1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with a generous pinch of salt. Pour the pasta in the boiling water and stir occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and drain well with cold water. 

2. Meanwhile, place basil leaves, cashews, garlic, pinch of sea salt and lime juice in a food processor. Process on medium speed until well mixed. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil at a time until you have used 2 tablespoons. When the oil has been combined, remove pesto from the processor and serve a generous dollop on top of one quarter of the pasta. Serve immediately. 


Serves / 4
Total Preparation time / 10 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 15 minutes


x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...