|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

QUINOA, PUMPKIN & BEEF STEW


I FINALLY got my man to eat quinoa and I am just so ecstatic. Turns out all I had to do was cook beef mince with quinoa and he became interested. After numerous recipes of quinoa salads, quinoa in soup and (failed) quinoa in porridge I finally found a recipe that Chris could get on board with.


This recipe was inspired from a Peruvian Quinoa Lamb recipe that I perused in one of my many cooking magazines / books / websites. It is packed with protein, filling and helps me to say so long to winter with one last comfort meal. And for once in my house I don’t have to eat the quinoa dish for days on end as I have someone helping me to devour it!

INGREDIENTS

  • 250g quinoa, soaked in water for 2 hours (make sure you change the water at least once throughout this time)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 medium leek, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 500g extra lean beef mince
  • 350g pumpkin, skin removed and cut into even 3-4cm pieces
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 3 cups (750ml) beef stock or water 
  • sea salt & pepper
  • Optional- a handful of fresh parsley or sage, roughly chopped

COOKING 

1. After the quinoa has been soaked, drain well. Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add leek and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until the leek has softened but is not brown. 

2. Add the beef, salt & pepper and rosemary to the pan and stir, breaking up any lumps in the mince that may occur with a strong spoon. When the beef has browned add the pumpkin pieces and stir for 2 minutes to combine, then pour the quinoa and stock / water into the pan and bring to the boil. 

3. After the liquid has boiled, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover, cooking for 7-8 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked (you will be able to see the little white cuticles in the quinoa if it is cooked; in addition, the liquid in the pan will be almost all absorbed) and the pumpkin is just tender. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or sage and serve warm. 

Serves / 4 
Total Preparation time / 2 hours 12 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 20 minutes 

x Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...