|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Sunday, September 8, 2013

VEGETARIAN JUNGLE CURRY



Spring is well and truly in my neighbourhood and I am beyond happy about its reappearance. My daily walks with my energetic pups involve passing deep purple and bright yellow flowers blossoming and I can’t help but walk past them with a goofy smile on my face. Saying this, on my walk this morning all I could think of was curry and how I could not recall making one single curry dish this past winter. So I raced home and got cooking, throwing every bright vegetable into my large pot that I could find. 


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 5cm fresh ginger, finely grated
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon chilli powder
  • 900g sweet potato, peeled & cut into 4cm even pieces
  • 400ml light coconut milk
  • 3 cups (750ml) water 
  • 1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets and stalk roughly chopped
  • 1 large carrot, washed & chopped into small pieces
  • 1 red capsicum, seeded removed and cut into small pieces
  • 125g bean shoots
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
  • 3 cups cooked basmati rice 

COOKING 

1. Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and swirl to coat the base. Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the curry powder, garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder and stir quickly to prevent sticking. Add the sweet potato and stir until the potato is well coated with the spices. 

2. Add the coconut milk and one cup of water to the pan and bring to the boil, covered. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes before adding the broccoli, carrot and capsicum to the pan. Add two cups of water, cover and bring to the boil again, then reduce to a simmer for 8 minutes, or until the broccoli and sweet potato are tender. Add the bean shoots and stir well to combine. 

Remove the curry from the stove and serve on top of rice with coriander leaves sprinkled on top. 

Serves / 4 - 6
Total Preparation time / 20 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 30 minutes 

x Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...