I found the inspiration for this recipe in a 'Who' magazine that I was reading on a plane the other day. These were initially 'Vegan Quinoa & Chia Bars' however after a few experiments in the kitchen alternating the recipe it changed. If you would like to make the recipe vegan friendly, substitute the egg white for 1 tablespoon chia seeds and whisk these with 1/4 cup water, then leave to stand for at least 10 minutes or until the ingredients have become gel like. I used egg as 1. I eat eggs, 2. when cooked chia seeds lose almost all of their nutrients, and 3. in my humble opinion I think they make the muesli cups stick together more favourably. I like using puffed rice in sweet recipes as it is so light, however you could substitute for rolled oats or quinoa flakes. Take extreme care heating the egg white and other wet ingredients on the stove, as you do not want to cook the egg! These cute little sweet cups can be stored in an air tight plastic container for seven days but I seriously doubt that they will last that long in your kitchen as they are so light and moreish!
- 1 egg white
- 3 generous tablespoons of honey, maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups of puffed rice
- 1 cup of mixed dried fruit & raw nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- patty cake holders- disposable or washable
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with the patty cake holders.
2. Pour the egg white, whatever sweetener you are using, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and 3 tablespoons of water into a small pan. Heat over very low heat, making sure not to cook the egg white, stirring for just a couple minutes or until the mixture is runny and warm.
3. In a large bowl combine the puffed rice, mixed fruit & nuts and coconut and stir. Pour in the warm liquid from step 2 and stir well to combine until all the dry ingredients are wet. If this does not occur, add a splash more of your sweetener.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared patty cake holders. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cups are brown in colour. Remove from heat and leave to cool completely.
Makes / 12
Total Preparation time / 10 minutes maximum
Total Cooking time / 30-35 minutes