|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Thursday, February 16, 2012

SEASONED VEGETARIAN OMELETTE



 My attempts to cook breakfast more frequently continue! This morning I cooked an omelette for the very first time in my 24 years of existence. As a present for my boyfriend for cleaning the stove top and setting up my new Macbook Pro (yay!) I decided to do something nice in return for him and make him his favourite breakfast dish. The funny thing is that I have NO idea how to cook omelettes. Feeling a little out of my depth, I decided to do what I always do when I cook something new; add spices! The omelette took on a joint Mexican & Indian theme as I found myself adding smoked paprika, chilli powder, ground cumin & ground coriander. This mixture of spices and flavours worked remarkably well together. Cooking the omelette ended up being incredibly simple, as I just left the egg mixture to set in a non-stick frying pan and then folded the sides over after adding in the vegetarian filling. Stay tuned for more healthy, simple breakfast dishes.


INGREDIENTS


  • 5 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup water 
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chives, roughly chopped
  • 40g light grated cheese
  • 60g brown onion, finely chopped
  • 150g red capsicum, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, diced 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • a pinch of chilli powder
  • Optional- 10g extra cheese and cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters, to serve 

COOKING 

1. Heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a small to medium frying pan on medium heat and cook onion and garlic for a few minutes or until onion has softened. Add capsicum and the four spices and stir for 2 minutes or until well combined and capsicum is tender. Remove from pan and keep warm. 

2. Whisk eggs, water, chives and 40g cheese in a jug. Heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a small to medium frying pan on low heat and swirl to coat. Pour in half of the omelette mixture and leave until the egg is almost set; this should take around 2-3 minutes. Remove omelette from pan, place on a serving plate and add half of the capsicum mixture and top with cheese and cherry tomatoes. Fold the sides of the omelette over. Repeat with the remainder of the egg mixture. 

Serves 2 





x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...