I neglected comforting sweet potato in the recent summer for more seasonal vegetables such as tomato, cucumber, avocados, crisp lettuces etc. I must admit that I have greatly missed this vegetable. One of my favourite autumn/winter things to do is to bake sweet potato with different spices, as whatever seasoning I choose always ends up tasting edible. Ground fennel with sweet potato is my latest craze, it used to be ground cumin OR ground coriander. Hence I decided to combine all three earthy spices in this dish, as well as a little chilli to bring out the flavours. These spices can be easily found in the baking aisle in major supermarkets or in bulk at Indian supermarkets.
- 650g sweet potato, peeled and cut into even slices
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (depending on how much bite you want the potato to have)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
1. Preheat fan-force oven to 220 degrees celsius. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Meanwhile, cut and peel potato. Combine potato slices in a large bowl with oil, spices, garlic and chilli flakes. Toss well to combine.
3. Place covered potato slices in a single layer on the prepared baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until slices are very tender.
Serves 4 / as a side
Total Preparation time / 15 minutes
Total Cooking time / 20 minutes