Chicken nuggets are such a pastime for me. I remember my mother making them for us four kids when we were little (healthy chicken nuggets of course, with cornflakes and no oil). After tasting her delectable chicken nuggets, I never understood why my friends loved the same dish at MacDonald’s. A massive blow with my new gluten-free diet was that cornflakes and breadcrumbs were out of the picture. Or were they? These days gluten-free bread has become almost as ubiquitous as white floury bread. So much so that when I was ordering breakfast at a brand new café the other day (open for 3 days at the time) the waitlist apologized to me profusely for not having gluten-free bread on the menu as of yet and told me that they would get it in just for me! So, my longwinded point is, I use gluten-free breadcrumbs instead to make chicken nuggets. And I’ll let you in on a little secret- my nuggets taste BETTER now.
- 600g chicken breast fillets, cut into even cubes / pieces
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 pieces of gluten-free bread (preferably seeded)
- sea salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius fan-force. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Tear the gluten-free bread into pieces and place in a blender. Blend for around 30 seconds, making sure that all bread pieces have been processed into fine breadcrumbs. Remove from blender and place in a small bowl and combine with sesame seeds and salt. Place lightly beaten eggs in a separate bowl.
3. Prepare the chicken by placing each individual nugget in the egg first, then covering with breadcrumbs and lastly placing on the lined baking tray. (Having a kid help you with this can be super fun!)
4. Bake chicken nuggets in the oven for around 15-17 minutes. Remove after this and slice the biggest chicken nugget you can find, making sure that no red flesh remains.
These chicken nuggets taste great served with plum sauce.
Serves / 4
Total Preparation time / 15 minutes
Total Cooking time / 17 minutes