|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Sunday, May 27, 2012

GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS



Chicken nuggets are such a pastime for me. I remember my mother making them for us four kids when we were little (healthy chicken nuggets of course, with cornflakes and no oil). After tasting her delectable chicken nuggets, I never understood why my friends loved the same dish at MacDonald’s. A massive blow with my new gluten-free diet was that cornflakes and breadcrumbs were out of the picture. Or were they? These days gluten-free bread has become almost as ubiquitous as white floury bread. So much so that when I was ordering breakfast at a brand new cafĂ© the other day (open for 3 days at the time) the waitlist apologized to me profusely for not having gluten-free bread on the menu as of yet and told me that they would get it in just for me! So, my longwinded point is, I use gluten-free breadcrumbs instead to make chicken nuggets. And I’ll let you in on a little secret- my nuggets taste BETTER now.


INGREDIENTS

  • 600g chicken breast fillets, cut into even cubes / pieces
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 4 pieces of gluten-free bread (preferably seeded)
  • sea salt 
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten 

COOKING 

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius fan-force. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. 

2. Tear the gluten-free bread into pieces and place in a blender. Blend for around 30 seconds, making sure that all bread pieces have been processed into fine breadcrumbs. Remove from blender and place in a small bowl and combine with sesame seeds and salt. Place lightly beaten eggs in a separate bowl. 

3. Prepare the chicken by placing each individual nugget in the egg first, then covering with breadcrumbs and lastly placing on the lined baking tray. (Having a kid help you with this can be super fun!)

4. Bake chicken nuggets in the oven for around 15-17 minutes. Remove after this and slice the biggest chicken nugget you can find, making sure that no red flesh remains. 

These chicken nuggets taste great served with plum sauce. 

Serves / 4 
Total Preparation time / 15 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 17 minutes 

x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...