|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Thursday, May 17, 2012

CHICKEN, ALMOND & BASIL OPEN SANDWICH


When I found out that my life would consist of no wheat/gluten, you would think that buttery croissants, cakes, cookies and pasta may have first crossed my mind in a sad sorrow. However, I mostly left hollow that eating sandwiches were no longer an option. If you know me well, you will know that I spend the first 2 years living out of home surviving on purely sandwiches for lunch and dinner. Looking back, it may have been the immense consumption of whole-meal and multigrain bread that led to my gluten intolerance. Anyways, no sandwiches felt like a death sentence (or how I could imagine one in my head). Until my father introduced me to gluten-free bread, which over recent years has become much tastier than it started out as. Toasting gluten free bread and eating it with avocado and sea salt has become my new vice, after I was specified no-dairy no-wheat existence. Today for lunch I mixed it up with some cucumber, celery and almonds.

INGREDIENTS

  • 300g chicken breast, cut into even bite size pieces
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil 
  • 1/4 cup roasted slivered/flaked almonds
  • 2 tablespoons 99% fat free mayonnaise
  • 1 lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
  • 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
  • sea salt & pepper
  • 4-6 pieces gluten-free bread, toasted

COOKING 

1. Heat a small frying pan with sesame oil and swirl to coat. Cook chicken over medium heat until chicken is lightly golden and no red flesh remains. Remove from heat. 

2. Combine chopped celery, cucumber, basil, almonds and chicken. Season to taste with salt & pepper and place over toasted bread. Serve with hard boiled egg if you wish. 

Serves / 2 - 3 
Total Preparation time / 10 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 6-8 minutes 

x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...