|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Sunday, October 16, 2011

DELICIOUS BROCCOLI


I have this strange habit that I haven't been able to shake all year; I buy broccoli every week and let it rot in my fridge before cooking it. This has happened well over 15 times already in 2011. I have every intention of cooking this vegetable every week, however for some unknown reason it just sits in my fridge and turns yellow. A few days ago I decided that the reason for this waste was that I did not have an appetising recipe involving broccoli by its self. I opened up Jamie Oliver's 'Ministry of Food' and was delighted to find an extensive chapter on 'Delish Veg'. I have adapted the recipe below to suit the ingredients in my kitchen and to reflect my particular palate. And after devouring a sizeable portion of delectable broccoli at 11am this morning, I will never again leave broccoli in my fridge to rot.

Broccoli with Asian Dressing


Ingredients 

  • 600g broccoli
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed 
  • 1/8- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes 
    • depending on how spicy you want the dish- 1/8 will add a dash of spice, with 1/4 you will taste the hotness. 
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon toasted flaked/sliced almonds. 
Cooking 

1. Toast flaked/sliced almonds by stirring them in a fry pan for a few minutes on medium heat. 

2. Break the broccoli into little pieces. Heat a steamer pan or bring a large saucepan of water on to boil. Place the broccoli in the steamer or in a colander placed over the saucepan of boiling water and cover with a tight fitting lid or foil. Steam for around 6 minutes, or until the stalks are tender. 

3. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Place crushed garlic and chilli flakes in a bowl. Stir in sesame oil, olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, salt and balsamic vinegar. Whisk the dressing together and taste. The dressing should taste salty from the soy sauce, sweet from the vinegar, acid from the lime and spicy from the chilli. 

4. When broccoli is cooked, place in a bowl and pour dressing over. Add the toasted almonds. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...