|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Saturday, October 15, 2011

LESS IS MORE



When it comes to pizza, I have found through extensive research that less is always more. By that I mean less toppings. The more you cramp on a pizza, the less chance you have of tasting the individual flavours. More often than not, all you will taste is cheese. Which isn't always such a terrible thing. But if you have loaded the pizza with fresh vegetables and spices, it is a tad disappointing which you cannot taste these.

I was at Eagle Farm market today walking among the fresh produce when I had a desire to make pizza. But not a 'traditional' pizza with tomato paste, grated cheese and some form of rolled meat. I wanted to make a pesto base pizza. This idea came to me as I was walking through the herbs section and was hit with the intoxicating smell of fresh basil. Over recent months I have become quite the master in making basil pesto, after many failed attempts. And I am proud to inform that my concoction is considerably less fatty compared to other pesto recipes that I have come across. I have decreased the amount of oil, cheese and pine nuts than you will see in other recipes.


PESTO PIZZA


Ingredients 

For Basil Pesto
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 -1 tablespoon lemon juice 
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts 
  • one bunch of fresh basil leaves, stems removed 
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup olive oil 
1. Put garlic cloves, salt and pine nuts in a food processor or blender. Mix until ingredients are a paste. 

2. Add basil leaves, olive oil, parmesan and lemon juice. Whizz until it forms a paste and the basil leaves are no longer visible. 

For Pizza
  • 2 store bought pizza bases, either white, wholemeal or gluten free
    • you can certainly make the base yourself (it was a Sunday when I made this dish and I was in a lazy mood). 
  • 200g mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly.
    •  I used buffalo mozzarella. 
  • Half a red onion, diced finely 
  • 100g ham, preferably low fat.
  • 50g salami, optional 
    • Me and my partner reached an agreement- half the pizzas were covered in salami and ham for him and half with just ham for me. If you are looking to save calories guys, lose the salami! 

Cooking 

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius fan force. 

2. Spread pesto mixture onto pizza bases. 

3. Place an equal amount of cheese, red onion, ham and salami (if using) onto both pizzas. 

4. Cook in the oven for around 15 minutes or until pizza edges are golden.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...