|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

VEGETARIAN PAELLA


What passes for authentic Spanish paella in Australia is usually a mixture of prawns, chicken, chorizo, shell fish and sometimes beef. Whilst I thoroughly enjoy eating this dish in its 'traditional' form, it is EXTREMELY fatty. I apologise for bursting anyone's bubble. Chorizo alone is filled to the rim with calories, let alone all the fat of the other meats and the lugs of oil that they use to make this dish.

During the European summer in 2007 I spent 2 weeks in Spain travelling around Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia. It was on this trip that I tasted my first paella. And my second. And my third. It was indescribable. My memory of these dishes is crystal clear. The paella was piled with vegetables, yellow or red stained rice and at the most 2 different types of meat. The Spanish have nailed down simplicity when it comes to food.

I do not claim that the vegetarian paella I frequently cook is anywhere near as appetising as what I experienced in Spain. However, I can guarantee you that it is low in fat, filled with vegetables and is simple to make. You can substitute the vegetables for whatever you have lying around in your fridge. Green beans and mushrooms work well in this dish.


Ingredients 

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small red onion (100g), chopped finely
  • 1 medium red capsicum (200-300g), chopped finely 
  • 1 medium green or yellow capsicum (200-300g), chopped finely 
    • I used green.
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 
  • pinch saffron threads
    • or 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric - works just as well to stain the rice yellow and does not cost an arm and a leg. 
  • 2 cups doongara rice 
  • 4 medium tomatoes (600-800g), chopped finely 
  • 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
  • 1 cup (120g) frozen peas, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley- optional 
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges- optional 

Cooking

1. Heat oil in large frying pan. Cook onion and capsicum, stirring, until onion softens. Add paprika and stir. Add rice and saffron/turmeric and stir to coat the rice in the vegetable mixture. 

2. Add tomatoes and all of the stock. Bring to the boil. Simmer for around 10 minutes or until rice is almost absorbed. 

4. Add peas by stirring into the pan. Simmer for around 5 minutes or until peas are cooked and rice is absorbed. 

5. Sprinkle paella with parsley and serve with lemon wedges, if desired. 




x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...