|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Thursday, March 8, 2012

BEEF, BASIL & RED KIDNEY BEANS



In preparation for Day 4, I diverted entirely from the recipes allocated for the Challenge and made my own. I figured that this dish would still count as healthy, as the beef was extra lean and there was no rice or extra carbs involved. I threw this meal together at around 4pm and was pleasantly surprised when my partner told me how much he had loved it, as not much brain power or focus had gone into this creation. The secret ingredient here is smoked paprika- you must add it! It gives the dish a woody yet mildly spicy aroma. I will admit that I do not usually enjoy red meat one bit...in fact non-existent levels of iron in my body was a major deciding factor in participating in this health challenge! However, I did enjoy this jam-packed iron meal. 



INGREDIENTS

  • 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
  • 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, roughly diced
  • 1 small green cap sicum, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, finely diced
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil 
  • 60-80g red onion, finely diced 
  • 500g extra lean beef mince
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, plus extra to serve 

COOKING 

1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat and swirl to coat well. Add red onion and garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add beef, smoked paprika and 2 tablespoons chopped basil and stir continuously until the beef has has browned and no meat lumps remain. 

2. Add carrot and capsicum and stir for 2 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat and place in a large serving bowl. Add red kidney beans and tomato and toss to combine. Top with basil leaves, if desired. 

Serves /
NB / You can add rice but this is extra carbs at night and the Challenge does not really allow them! Trust me, this dish is filling enough. 

x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...