|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Saturday, March 10, 2012

LEMONGRASS LAMB VERMICELLI NOODLES



Day 5 on the challenge called for an Asian dish. It’s funny, some people desire chocolate, others have a hankering for potato chips but I crave vermicelli noodles a minimum of 4 times a week. Its rather comical if you knew me, as I am the whitest woman alive. Anyways, the heart wants what it wants. In my effort to eat more red meat, I decided to cook with lamb, something that I rarely do as I was spoiled with one too many lamb roasts when I was young. However, this lamb mixed with garlic, chilli flakes, shallots and lemongrass completely won me over.  Whilst the recipe may look a little time consuming due to the somewhat lengthy list of ingredients and the 5 cooking steps, the end result is well worth the preparation! Lemongrass has quickly become my favourite ingredient to look with, as it adds a citrusy freshness to dishes that cannot be acquired with any other herb or vegetable. It does not even feel like I’m participating in a healthy challenge when I can devour food such as this! 


INGREDIENTS

  • 300-350g lean lamb steak, cut into even strips
  • 15-20cm stick fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
  • 2 green shallots, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil 
  • 1 garlic clove, finely diced 
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce 
  • 1 avocado, roughly chopped
  • 1 lebanese cucumber, diced
  • 200g vermicelli noodles 
Dressing 
  • 1 garlic clove, finely diced
  • 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce 
  • 5cm stick fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice 

COOKING 

1. Combine the lamb, 15-20cm lemongrass, the shallots, chilli flakes, 1 garlic clove, sesame oil and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Toss to combine. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes. 

2. Meanwhile, place vermicelli noodles in a large heatproof bowl (I use a saucepan) and cover with boiling water. Leave to stand for around 4 minutes or until just tender and drain well. Rinse under cold water and drain again. 

3. Cook marinated lamb in a medium frying pan on low to medium heat for around 5 minutes or until just cooked through. 

4. Combine all dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well to combine. 

5. In a large serving bowl, arrange the cooked lamb, cooked noodles and avocado & lebanese cucumber. Drizzle the dressing over the top and serve. 

x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...