The heat & humidity in Brisbane has become outrageous. Whilst I love and look forward to summer as much as the next person, my jaw dropped when I realised that for the next 7 days the temperature was going to be in the 33-34 degrees celsius range. If you have never experienced a Brisbane summer, 30 plus really feels like 40 plus degrees as our humidity is insane. This type of weather makes you want to lay back with an ice-cold beer, cider, water and absolutely does not endear itself to cooking. Hence I have created the 7 salads in 7 days. Over the next week I will be exploring simple, yet filling and tasty salads that are easy to make and do not require using too much heat (and some will require no heat!). These salads will all be gluten & dairy-free as well. It’s a great way for me to get through this steamy week, as otherwise I may have been living off sushi takeaway or fruit & yoghurt for dinner. Another thrilling salad recipe coming at you tomorrow!
- 400g chicken breast (preferably free-range), cut into even strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard powder
- 2 handfuls of green oak lettuce (or any lettuce you like), washed and roughly torn
- 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin of brown lentils, washed & drained
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- a generous handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped & washed
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1. Combine all the chicken ingredients in a medium ceramic bowl and toss well. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to marinade.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the salad by combining the lettuce, celery, tomato and lentils in a large serving bowl. To make the dressing place the garlic, parsley, lime juice, vinegar and oil in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
3. After marinading the chicken for 25 minutes, line a large baking tray with baking paper and preheat a fan-forced oven to 200 degrees celsius.
4. After 30 minutes of marinading the chicken, remove from the refrigerator and evenly spread the chicken pieces on the prepared oven tray. Bake in the oven for 9-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked (you can test this by cutting the biggest piece of chicken in half; if no pink flesh is visible, the chicken is cooked). Turn off your oven straight away!
Place the chicken on top of the salad and drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss well.
Serves / 4
Total Preparation time / 15 minutes (plus marinading time)
Total Cooking time / 11-12 minutes