The internet is so saturated with date ball ideas that its a little overwhelming how many recipes are out there. Some are vegan, some are sugar-free, and some are filled with butter and fat. I really like cooking recipes that friends have tried & tested and this vegan date ball formula comes from a health-nut of a friend. You can use whatever nut you like in the balls, such as hazelnut, cashew, pistachio or you can omit the nuts for dried fruit. You can add more seeds, such as 1 tablespoon of chia or omit certain seeds. To keep it strictly vegan, do not add any butter or eggs. To keep it low in sugar do not add any processed sugar; trust me when I say that the dates are sugary enough! Watch this space for more date ball recipes in the future. Thanks for getting me into this delicious and easy form of making and consuming healthy sweets Avin!
- 500g dates
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 75g crushed walnuts (or any other nut you prefer)
- desiccated coconut
1. Process the dates in a food processor until minced. You may need to add water if the date mixture is too thick and the dates become one big ball; only add a dash of water at a time. Add cacao powder and almond meal and blend until just combined. Mix the three types of seeds and walnuts into the date mixture by stirring. Roll the mixture into even shaped balls and have a separate plate ready to roll balls in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours until set. Store in the refrigerator.