I’ve found a good pal in organic black beans in a tin, which can be found at Wray Organic health stores. As I am about to head into yet another renovation for my partner and my business, time is getting more and more precious! Whilst I’d love to spend all my free time not instructing at home cooking up a storm, I have been told that this is not going to fly for the next couple of weeks. Therefore, shortcuts have become my new best friends. And I must admit that you can not even tell the difference between these canned beans and the real raw deal. Give them a try when you are short on time; It will save you around 45- 60 minutes of cooking!
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach or iceberg lettuce, washed & drained
- 500g chicken breast fillets, preferably free range, diced into even 4cm pieces
- 1/2 - 1 packet taco seasoning (35g) (depending on how spicy you want the dish)
- 150g cherry tomatoes or regular tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 ripe avocado, cut into rough pieces and tossed with a dash of fresh lemon juice
- 1 x 400g tin cooked black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1. Prepare chicken by tossing together chicken pieces, taco seasoning, garlic and coconut oil in a medium bowl.
2. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat and add chicken. Cook, stirring frequently, until no pink flesh is visible. The chicken may start to stick to the pan due to the seasoning, so you can add slightly more oil or water, 1 tablespoon at a time. When chicken is cooked, lower heat to a simmer and toss in drained black beans for 1 minute or until beans are warm. Remove from heat.
3. Place baby spinach or lettuce in a large serving bowl or on a large serving plate. Add cooked chicken and black beans, then tomatoes. Top with chives and avocado. Sprinkle some fresh lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper on top if you desire. Toss gently and serve warm.
Serves / 4
Total Preparation time / 15 minutes
Total Cooking time / 10 minutes