May I stress that this is ‘lazy’ tabbouleh and therefore I am aware that the traditional Lebanese tabbouleh would be shaking its head in shame at my version! This is my take on my mother's delicious Lentil Salad. I love adding a teaspoon of ground sumac to it, but this is not necessary. I have tried this tabbouleh with olive oil and much prefer it with red wine vinegar. This vegetarian dish is perfect as a side or for a main meal accompanied with cooked chicken breast pieces, cooked quinoa or more lentils or legumes (such as chickpeas).
- 1 bunch of parsley, stalks removed, parsley washed & drained and roughly chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes (around 500g), roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g tin brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Optional- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium serving bowl. Toss well to combine and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving, so that the lemon can absorb into the parsley.
Serves / 4 - 6 as a side / 4 as a main with chicken
Total Preparation time / 15-20 minutes