Another balls recipe! My ‘Vegan Date Ball’ recipe in January was my very first hand at trying to make this sweet natural snack that is swiftly popping up everywhere. The second time around I wanted a moister mixture with a little more flavouring, hence the orange juice and orange zest. Once again, a good friend gave me this idea when she suggested I add some citrus into the date mixture – lemon juice and zest or even lime would also go nicely. A small amount of juice and zest goes a long way and whilst you can taste the citrus hints it is by no way overpowering. Chia seeds are my flavour of the month- they are going on my muesli, salads and sweets. If you haven’t heard about them have a look at the January ‘Antipasto Salad with Buffalo Mozzarella’ which lists some huge benefits of consuming these little seeds.
- 300g dates
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons almond meal, plus extra to cover balls
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 heaped tablespoon chia seeds
- 40g macadamia nuts, finely chopped
1. Process the dates in a food processor until minced. You may need to add water if the date mixture is too thick, however only add a dash of water at a time. Add cinnamon and almond meal and gently process until just combined. Mix the chia seeds, orange juice, orange zest and macadamia nuts into the date mixture by stirring. Roll the mixture into even shaped balls and have a separate plate ready to roll balls in almond meal. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours until set. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes / 15-16
Total Preparation time / 15 minutes