|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Friday, January 20, 2012

DUKKAH EGGS ON A BED OF SALAD



I discovered Dukkah last year in Victoria when I was at a Harvest Festival. My aunt was particularly excited to introduce me to this unique blend of nuts, seeds and spices and directed me to a stall which specialized in this tasty condiment. I tried an almond blend of dukkah with olive oil on bread (how it is traditionally eaten) and was utterly amazed by the burst of flavour I encountered. Needless to say I purchased quite a large amount of this aromatic condiment.
A customary dukkah mixture consists of chopped toasted nuts (often hazelnuts, however I prefer the almond base) with sesame, coriander and cumin seeds and spices. Traditionally eaten by dipping bread into olive oil and then dukkah, it is fast becoming more common to sprinkle dukkah on salads, warm vegetables and on meat before cooking. This versatile condiment, appetizer, snack and antipasti can also be made into a dip, added as a toping to yoghurt or fruit or blended with rice with create a spiced and aromatic dish. Last night I was extremely tired, and thought that combining eggs with dukkah would be an interesting creation. Give it a try for yourself or create an imaginative use for dukkah.


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 eggs, halved
  • 1 x 410g tin of sliced beetroot
  • a generous handful of lettuce (I used iceberg, but butter or cos lettuce would be nice)
  • 2 large tomatos, finely sliced into wedges
  • a handful of alfalfa sprouts
  • 2 tablespoons of dukkah, any blend 
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil

COOKING 

1. Hard boil 2 eggs and cut in half. Coat eggs in sesame oil. Place 1 to 1/2 tablespoons of Dukkah on a clean surface and roll the halved eggs around until they are coated well with the ingredient. 

2. Combine beetroot, lettuce and tomato in a medium bowl. Top with alfalfa sprouts. Add coated eggs to the salad and sprinkle remaining dukkah evenly on top of the salad. 

Serves 2
Preparation & Cooking time: 8 minutes 





x E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...