|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Monday, January 30, 2012

POACHED EGGS SERVED ON RAINBOW RICE




Don’t let the extensive list of ingredients required for this recipe deter you, as you may find (as I pleasantly did) that I had all the ingredients bar feta in my pantry and fridge! I struggled on what to name this dish, initially calling it ‘Persian Eggs’, then ‘Protein Packed Salad’ before settling on the above title, which I think is much more fun and whimsical. I made this dish for lunch yesterday, as I was dying to cook something a little different and exotic. I was craving a filling, substantial dish that did not include meat. Hence came the inspiration for this recipe. Loosely based on the filling in the vegetarian stuffed capsicums that I made a few weeks ago, the lentils, chickpeas and fresh tomato tasted delightful combined with the warm yolk of the poached egg. If you have never used the spice sumac before, do yourself a favour and make this recipe!

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 green onion, chopped finely
  • 1 small red onion, chopped finely
  • 1 teaspoon sumac
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 x 400g tin of brown lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 4 eggs
  • a handful of lettuce, roughly torn 
  • a pinch of sea salt & pepper 
  • 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 100g reduced-fat feta, crumbled 


COOKING 

1. Bring rice and water to the boil, then simmer, for around 25 minutes, or until rice has absorbed all the water. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice, brown lentils, tomato and salt & pepper. 

2. Meanwhile, mix red onion, green onion and the sumac in a small bowl. Toss well to combine. 

3. Pour around 3cm of cold water into a medium frying pan and add vinegar. When bubbles start to appear on the surface of the water, crack each egg individually into the water. (I did 2 eggs at a time). Cook for 2-4 minutes or until egg has just set- I like my eggs to still be running but feel free to cook to your own specifications. Using a slotted spoon, remove egg/s from pan and gently place on a plate. Repeat process until 4 eggs are poached. 

4. Serve brown rice with onion & sumac mixture on top. Sprinkle feta over and top with 1 poached egg. 

Serves / 4
Preparation & Cooking time / 35 minutes 




x E

2 comments:

  1. yummmo looks great! I want to try it but I have nooooo food in my little cupboard! Soon i hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh pheebs you poor starving student!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...